Us software fanatics know that not all programs are amazing and that sometimes you can end up installing stuff that wants to do bad things to your computer. Due to the very nature of spyware, malware and trojans, spotting these evil apps can be tricky, but there are now lots of applications around that can help you sniff them out. FreeFixer performs a search on your computer for these malicious programs to give you the chance to remove them. Scanning with FreeFixer is very thorough and it scans a lot of programs files, BHO's, dll's, home page settings and the Windows registry for spyware and adware. The problem with this app, however, is the fact that it doesn't provide you with any information about the suspect files it finds, leaving it up to you to decide whether to delete them or not.
- The 64-bit version of FreeFixer will now also scan 32-bit Internet Explorer settings
- On 64-bit platforms FreeFixer will now also scan the 32-bit AppInit_DLLs
- The 64-bit FreeFixer will now also scan registry startups under the "SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node" branch in the registry
- On 64-bit platforms, the UserInit Plugin now also scans the userinit registry value located under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
- Added verification during FreeFixer's startup that the operating system is Windows 2000 or newer. If not an error message is displayed stating the required OS
- Fixed a bug where FreeFixer crashed when started on a non-supported platform, such as Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows NT